Thank you both for your answers.

Recent versions of Spring have their own way of creating a mock servlet
context and their own mock sessions and requests (MockHttpServletRequest)
and those cannot be combined with wicket (at least I didn't find a way to
do it), because if you go that route there is no wicket session.

I.e. annotating a test with @WebApplication and declaring an autowired
field as org.springframework.mock.web.MockHttpServletRequest will give you
a spring session but no wicket session.

If you instead use WicketTester then it all seems to work.