Hi,

I guess you mean https://github.com/dashorst/wicket-site.

> These days I think most developers know that it's fairly easy to make a
> great, modern looking website using one of the many Bootstrap
> customizations (eg., Bootswatch).
>
> First question:
>
> Does anyone else think a wicket website makeover is overdue (or are most
> people happy with the current look and feel)?

I do!
But I am not capable of doing it myself because I am not an artist.
I don't have this kind of imagination to create something pretty.
Functional - yes, but not pretty :(

Recently I've had a conversation with a client about this topic. (They use
Wicket Bootstrap)

Me (explaining why Wicket Bootstrap is not a module of Apache Wicket
distro):
<quote>
Today Bootstrap is the hype. Tomorrow something else will be
This is the main reason why WB hasn't been merged as a sub project of
Apache Wicket itself.
</quote>

The client:
<quote>
Agreed, and I think the strategy of Wicket is fine for experienced web
developers.

However, for every experienced developer, I assume there are 10 novices
trying out Wicket and if you don’t steer novice users towards a HTML/CSS
framework to use with Wicket to create great looking apps, most of them
will be disappointed and wander off elsewhere.
</quote>

More or less he said the same as you ! But I think he meant Wicket Examples
instead of http://wicket.apache.org/

> If the answer is yes then please continue reading:
>
> Any chance some people are interested in offering time to perform a
> Wicket website makeover?

I'll be glad to help with infrastructure, testing, fixing issues, etc. !

> Some questions for the site maintainers -
>

> Are the current web pages:
> 1.      Generated from any tool via XLST or anything?

The code is hosted at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/wicket/common/site/trunk.
We use http://jekyllrb.com/ to generate static HTML files. It is simple and
fast.

> 2.      Served from a content management system?

No.

> 3.      Just static pages edited directly in HTML?

Yes.

4.      Served as a Wicket app? (would be awesome!)

No. Apache Infrastructure team doesn't allow usage of dynamically generated
stuff because this leads of the higher maintenance cost.

> I guess the answer to these determines the quickest way possible to a
> refurbished website if Wicketeers agree that is appropriate.
>
> Could we hook together a simple system that actually uses a very simple
> Wicket app itself to host the pages? Eg., provide page content in some
> wiki style text format and have a simple Wicket page class that
> interprets this and outputs formatted content?

No. See above.