Yup. The integration between github and Apache are suboptimal. Infra
is aware of the issue and wants to work on it. I have no insights into
their plans, other than that they are in constant talks with github
employees to improve the integration. Infra has been busy upgrading
the services but they are way behind in work–ageing and failing
hardware being the biggest hurdle.

The reason Apache needs its own server is one of ensuring that the
code coming in is actually from someone who is allowed to do so.
Apache has no knowledge who is actually behind a github account, so we
can't just import the code directly. Also the canonical code needs to
be on ASF controlled hardware to ensure nobody else has write access
to it (and could rewrite history).

So for now it sucks, but things will improve somewhere this year (not
saying it is an Earth year :-)

Martijn