Hi,

I cannot reproduce the problem.
The iframe with the "Connection error" content is indeed loaded but
wicket-ajax-jquery.js' #handleMultipartComplete() is called (i.e. 'load'
event is fired).
Then onFailure() [1] is called and finally Channel#done() [2] is called to
release it.
I don't see why it hangs for you.

1.
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/wicket-core/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/ajax/res/js/wicket-ajax-jquery.js#L951