I had a feeling I did, but the problem still remains.  Anyway, the
resources served by Wicket are served on a response that is committed
(likely due to a flush() invocation).  The Jetty CompressedResponseWrapper
does not compress committed responses:

public ServletOutputStream getOutputStream() throws IOException

{
    if (_compressedStream==null)
    {
        if (getResponse().isCommitted() || _noCompression)
            return getResponse().getOutputStream();

_compressedStream=newCompressedStream(_request,(HttpServletResponse)getResponse());
    }
    else if (_writer!=null)
        throw new IllegalStateException("getWriter() called");

    return _compressedStream;
}

Is there anyway to not have Wicket commit the response when serving
resources (although Im unsure why the response being committed is an
issue for the Gzip Filter)