Hi Sven,
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I call formComponentPanel#setOutputMarkupPlaceholderTag(true) on all
elements involved with the AjaxRequestTarget.

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this.

What I am baffled about is why it doesn't work on production mode when it
works without any problems in development mode.

when on production mode, on firebug, I get the following error:

*Wicket.Ajax: Wicket.Ajax.Call.processComponent: Component with id [[id29]]
was not found while trying to perform markup update. Make sure you called
component.setOutputMarkupId(true) on the component whose markup you are
trying to update.*

I have called setOutputMarkupPlaceholderTag(true) on the panel I am adding
to AjaxRequestTarget.

So the question is, has anyone experienced that a panel is refreshed when
running a wicket app in development mode, and that the panel is not
refreshed when running a wicket app in production mode?

Thanks, once more,
Lucas