Well, you can create a Wicket resource for the updates to avoid a
pagemap lock, but it is essentially the price we pay for having a
singe-threaded access to the component hierarchy.

You can also create a servlet, but both options will block a thread on
your server waiting for the processing to finish if you don't want
polling. That is effectively a kill switch for your application (some
users will double, triple or N-click links if things are not going
fast enough).

Martijn