Modal window does this like

*// Wicket.Window.unloadConfirmation is deprecated but we need to check it
// for backward compatibility. Remove it after Wicket 7.0 **if
*(*this*.settings.unloadConfirmation
&& Wicket.Window.unloadConfirmation) {
Wicket.Event.add(window, *'beforeunload'*,*this*.onbeforeunload);
}

I see there is also an OnEventHeaderItem...