Hi,

I'd add it to the AjaxButton that submits the form.
Yes, it should work with 6.x.

I have never used a *synchronous* Ajax call in my apps. This is something
that is highly discurraged by everyone (specifications, books, articles,
etc.).
A synchronous call will make your browser unusable during the call!
But this is the only way I see to get your key during the form submit
processing.

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov