The isVisibleInHierarchy() method returns false.  Stepped into that and
realized that my co-worker was setting a parent panel false in a panel
further up the hierarchy in the onConfigure of a behavior, which fires once
at page load and again after the button click that makes this other
button/panel visible.

But that code hard-coded it to false.  It should have rendered the whole
panel invisible I would think.  Which is not what we want, but I am confused
why the panel rendered as visible.  onConfigure() javadoc says it fires
before render.  So that is confusing to me.  But we definitely have the
problem figured out.  Any idea why the panel rendered as if visible?