Found it!!!!

It seems FireFox does have an issue with the actions that start with ..?

The page I was going to (localhost/myapp) had a mount path at "/"

i.e.

@MountPath(value = "/", alt = "/home")

Now this mount path annotation was also in the test app that didn't exhibit the
problem but (yes!) but the main app has a test for authenticated user with
redirect:

// redirect to authenticate page if we don't have an authenticated user
redirectToInterceptPage(new AuthenticatePage());

The quickstart does not check for authentication so no redirect.

The problem goes away in Firefox if I change the mountpath to anything but "/"
eg.,

@MountPath(value = "/blah", alt = "/home")

So my theory is that an action URL generated for a form in a page mounted at
'/' is correct (./?) if the page is accessed directly without a
redirectToInterceptPage.

but when the action URL is generated after a "continue after intercept" to a
page that is mounted at '/' then the action URL is generated with the ..?
prefix instead of ./?.

While Chrome can handle ..? it appears Firefox does not but works fine with ./?