This can be fixed in wicket-examples/pom.xml:
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/01e76cf5e6f13962af0b336f7d02e256cb0ea68e/wicket-examples/pom.xml#L301-L303
wicket-examples.war should be renamed to ROOT.war before being copied to
<targetPath>/usr/local/tomcat/webapps</targetPath>
I don't see a way to do it with docker-maven-plugin but it should be
possible to be done with another Maven plugin before executing
docker-maven-plugin.

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov