I have spent some time investigating this issue, and I have finally found that
the actual problem lies at

https://github.com/apache/syncope/blob/SYNCOPE-1323/client/console/src/main/java/org/apache/syncope/client/console/wizards/AjaxWizard.java#L198

e.g.

RequestCycle.get().find(AjaxRequestTarget.class)

returns an Optional holding null, when onFinish() is invoked by WicketTester
(actual execution works fine, as said below).

Does this ring any bell?
Regards.