On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 8:49 AM Rolf Schumacher <r...@august.de> wrote:

> I was trying to start learning about Apache Wicket (as it looked like an
> easy to use UI for Java) and because I like to work with Eclipse and
> Maven. I also like to work with Tomcat, however, Wicket seems to prefer
> Jetty at least in its tutorials. I do not know nothing about Jetty,
> however should not take ages to learn.

It's not that we prefer Jetty over Tomcat, but rather that having a Start class
and a server configuration under our control for the quick start is important,
as one normally doesn't run into problems that way.

> I tried the Wicket Quick Start
> <https://wicket.apache.org/start/quickstart.html.> and successfully
> imported the generated Maven project to Eclipse workspace.

It would be great if you could tell us the particular version you picked. It
might be related to that specific version.

> But errors appear: e.g.
>
> import org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConfiguration;
>
> *It seems Eclipse cannot find the jetty server classes. How to add these
> to the Eclipse project?*

Eclipse has a maven configuration plugin called M2E, which should import
everything that is in the POM. We have dependencies on Jetty added in
the quickstart, so it should work out of the box.

You have to generate the project with the quick start command line, and
then in Eclipse do "Import -> Existing Maven project". This will allow M2E
to download everything.

> Does the creater of the Wicket Quick Start assumed that Jetty is already
> installed on the machine?

Nope. That is why we have the dependencies to Jetty in the POM so you
don't have to install Jetty.

Martijn