Sorry for the duplication. These messages did not appear in the mail group until about 8 hours after they were posted. I thought I must have 'misdirected' the first one. Was there a problem with the mail group today?

Anyway - I eventually worked out how to do it!

The secret was in the source code of the TreeModelProvider class - which we don't use but it has a method called

update(AbstractTree<T> tree, AjaxRequestTarget target)

which did this magic (among other things):

if (completeUpdate)
        target.add(new Componen[]{tree});
this,detach();

So I added a similar method, called completeUpdate, to pagebloom's own ITreeProvider implementation, TreeNodeProvider and it all worked amazingly well, after adding some additional detachment of the root nodes.