We've been doing "Java side" dynamic for some time.

Key Java components override a createComponent(String tagId) method that will create a Java component on demand.

The "demand" is dictated by the markup. So we can dynamically reconfigure markup to dictate the assembly of Wicket components and on the Java side the components are dynamically created on demand as the markup layouts dictate.

We have found it extremely flexible and productive doing things this way and it means the UI guys have some flexibility in layout without having to hassling the devs :)