Many thanks Sven and Martin,

Svens suggestion (adding an AjaxEventBehavior("load")) works like a charm.
Exactly what i was asking.

Now the next problem is with
#de.agilecoders.wicket.core.markup.html.bootstrap.components.TooltipBehavior

Allthough the resulting html is now perfect (img tag pointing to a usemap
which is filled with areas, each containing a tooltip), no tooltip pops up.
I  have no idea what the cause may be, still debugging the Tooltip class
and the corresponding JS.

I will check Martins suggestion and give ClientSideImageMap a try.

BTW: Once my code runs, i will be more than happy to contribute a code
snippet to the wiki or to whatever document you regard more usefull.

Regards

Christos Stieglitz