Hi,

Your XEN ICT Team - Ricardo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been following the XE JIRA calendar, this users list, and devs and
> notifications ones but I am not sure I am understanding the situation.
>
> As far as I can see by following devs and notifications there are some
> issues that are preventing the release of XE 1.2 RC2. Is this
> interpretation correct?

Indeed, we discovered some last minute bugs that unfortunately are
blocking the release. We hope that tomorrow we'll be able to fix these
bugs and make the release.

> Somehow I've missed 1.2 RC1 and I would like to understand how the
> release process works.

Mostly, it is timeboxing process, meaning that after a stable version is
released, we propose a release date for the next stable version and
split the remaining time interval into equally distributed Milestones,
keeping about 3 or 4 weeks for Release Candidates.

A few days before each milestone, the release manager goes through the
remaining tasks planned for that release and decides which ones can wait
for the next release, and which ones require all efforts in order to be
fixed before the release. When all the necessary issues are fixed, the
release manager sends a [vote] email to the devs list, and after the
successful vote starts the release process, which takes almost a full
day for XE.

After the release is done, meaning that all the files are uploaded to
the maven repository and on the ObjectWeb download site, we have to
update the Download page on xwiki.org, write a Release Notes page for
that release, send announcement mails and write a blog post on the
xwiki.org wiki, update several sites like wikipedia, wikimatrix and
freshmeat, and hope that no critical bug was left undiscovered in the
release.

In the RC phase, it is a bit more difficult to postpone bugs, since a
stable version must be, well, stable. So, there are two more bugs in the
export/packager tools, on which I'm working right now, and a Rights
Manager UI problem which I must verify before committing it.

Sergiu