Thank you Vincent, I've tried both solutions and it works fine.

I'm just confused now about how to create new wikis. When I use XEM (
http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/WikiManager/) and I click on "create a
new wiki", no problem. For example, if I create a wiki called "*sales*", I
have a new link showing *sales.localdomain.com*. To cheat, I change my hosts
file (on Windows Vista) and map the *sales.localdomain.com* to 127.0.0.1.
But after, when I click on *sales.localdomain.c*om I get an exception
that my user xwiki cannot access the database *sales* :

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error number 3202 in 3: Exception
while reading document XWiki.XWikiPreferences
Wrapped Exception: Error number 3301 in 3: Exception while switching
to database sales
Wrapped Exception: Access denied for user 'xwiki'@'localhost' to
database '*sales*'

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processException(RequestProcessor.java:535)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:433)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:236)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1196)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:414)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

com.xpn.xwiki.web.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:117)

So what I did after is create a new database *sales* and give the user xwiki
all the priviledges :

mysql --user=root --execute="create database *sales*"
mysql --user=root --execute="grant all privileges on xwiki.* to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by '*sales*'"

But that doesn't work either. When I go to *sales.localdomain.com*here
comes a new exception :

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error number 3 in 0: Could not
initialize main XWiki context
Wrapped Exception: Error number 3202 in 3: Exception while reading
document XWiki.XWikiPreferences
Wrapped Exception: Could not create a DBCP pool

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processException(RequestProcessor.java:535)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:433)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:236)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1196)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:414)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

com.xpn.xwiki.web.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:117)

I think I'm doing something wrong because in my understanding XWiki Manager
should do these things automatically and I think I'm doing to much hand
work. I'm using MySQL 5.0.45. Any idea ?

Thanks,

Antonio

2007/12/26, Vincent Massol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi Antonio,
>
> On Dec 26, 2007, at 6:51 PM, Antonio Goncalves wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having a look at virtual wikis and I'm a bit confused with all
> > the installation possibilities. In my understanding, XEM is an easy
> > way to manage several XWiki instances on one server. Starting from a
> > fresh install you would download the XEM.war file into your tomcat,
> > import the XEM.xar file, and it should work. But what do you do when
> > you already have an instance of xwiki running and you want to add
> > the management capabilities ? Is it when the Wiki Manager plugin
> > comes along ? Am I right in saying :
> >
> > * fresh install : XEM.war and XEM.xar
> > * xwiki already installed (xwiki.war) : use the Wiki Manager plugin
> > and forget about XEM (war and xar)
>
> Yes, that's almost correct. We need these instructions on the
> xwiki.org web site. To transform XE into a XEM install do the following:
>
> * install the Application Manager plugin (JAR) + the Application
> Manager application (XAR)
> * install the Wiki Manager plugin (JAR) + the Wiki Manager application
> (XAR)
> * modify xwiki.cfg to set xwiki.virtual to 1
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent

Antonio Goncalves ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Software architect