> #set($showcomments = false)
 > #set($showattachments = false)

That only tells the skin not to render the corresponding HTML, it does
not prevent users from posting comments or uploading files to the
respective URLs directly!
Of course, the URLs could be changed to a secret (struts config), but I
wouldn't call that security at all.

Also, this only applies to the albatross skin, I have my own that does
not support the 'showcomments' and 'showattachments' settings.

-Josef