Well.. first things first.
Without seeing your loop construction, it's a bit hard to determine the
problem.
Here's a sample I adjusted from your second scenario:
<%
String str = ''

[1..10].flatten().each{
  str  = str + '<event>' + it +  xwiki.getXMLEncoded('this one\n')+
'</event>\n'
}

println(str)
%>

The result when shown in a standard XWiki page for this (just stuck it
in a page), is predictable enough; no linebreaks and the <event /> tag
is ignored since it thinks it's a custom element.
Could you expand a bit more on what output you're getting, and what
you're doing with it after (putting it in a field/passing it to
xml/etc)?

Here's what I get:
---
1this one2this one3this one4this one5this one6this one7this one8this
one9this one10this one
---