A fourth option (someway similar to the second one) is to use the Native
SQL Query feature of Hibernate. Instead of calling
session.createQuery(hql) you can call session.createSQLQuery(sql). It
works, using aliases. However, I tested it only on MySql and HSQLDB.

WDYT? Is this a convenient solution. I would have to switch many of the
hql queries from the Statistics Application to sql queries.

Marius