I've opened again the the macros.vm file, and in fact the lines

#set($expanded = $xwiki.getUserPreferenceFromCookie($cookieName))

and

onclick="if(eltHasClass(this.parentNode, 'expanded'))
createCookie('$cookieName','collapsed', ''); else
eraseCookie('$cookieName');
togglePanelVisibility(this.parentNode);">$title</h5>

do seem to control the collapsed status.

However, I do not get that behaviour

Joao