Hi,

I'm the author of the tutorial. I fought for couple of weeks with Ubuntu
8.04 Server on my own, in the end I had to give up as the implementation in
Ubuntu is just lousy (IMHO). I never got it to work, so I switched back to
Debian Etch and it worked right from the beginning.

However, one thing that I haven't written in the howto (I'm going to correct
that) is the change in 'etc/apache2/mods-enabled/proxy.conf:

        <Proxy *>
                AddDefaultCharset off
                Order deny,allow
                Allow from all
                #Allow from .example.com

                # Define the character set for proxied FTP directory
listings
                ProxyFtpDirCharset UTF-8
        </Proxy>

Maybe that helps?