1. No.
2. No way it should be a different character.
3. Maybe it could be configurable. So if a user wants such
functionality, he will be informed about JavaScript. Besides that,
from W3C statistics, 95% users have JavaScript enabled. Anyway, if the
user has it disabled, he will get his default tab action :)
 Quoting Marius Dumitru Florea : Thomas Mortagne wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Regan Gill  wrote:
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> I have set up xwiki for my company's wiki. One complaint I am
getting a
 >> lot from users is that the tab key doesn't insert a tab when
editing,
 >> instead it works like a form and moves the focus. Is there a good
reason
 >> for this or just something no one got around to implementing?
 >
 > If you are using Firefox, I think it's the default behavior of
this
 > browser (when IE insert a tab character) in an input field.
 >
 > Now, maybe we can catch the tab key event in some way... but I
will
 > let more WYSIWYG experienced guys answer for this ;)
 It can be done. From JavaScript we can prevent the default behavior
of
 the browser and add our own logic. But then we would have to ask
more
 questions:
 * do all the users expect the tab to indent?
 * which character should be used? space or real tab. If space, how
many?
 * what if the JavaScript is disabled?
 Regards,
 Marius