Thanks for the response Jerome.  I am embarssed to say that I must be losing
my mind.  When I tested this again today, it worked as expected.  I know for
a fact that this was not working before.  But, I just tagged a bunch of
pages from the Document Information Panel and it worked properly every time.
My apologies for wasting your time.

Thank you,
Bret