Another note,

All of these users have weird First Name Last Name fields:

$user.getObject('XWiki.XWikiUsers').get('first_name')
$user.getObject('XWiki.XWikiUsers').get('last_name')

This was probably a remanent of when our site was spammed and we bulk
deleted users.  This may be the root of the problem, but we still
don't know how to address it.

Sam