On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 11:47, Christophe GRAVIER
<christophe.grav...@telecom-st-etienne.fr> wrote:
> Dear XWiki users,
>
> I have been looking for authenticating my xwiki users against a LDAP
> directory (OpenLdap, debian box), where the userPassword field is
> encrypted using the SHA algorithm.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not able to configure xwiki to encrypt the
> password entered by the user before the authentication and
> authorization process.
>
> I receive the following snip, after enabling ldap logging in a custom
> log4j.properties file as indicated in the doc:
> com.xpn.xwiki.XWikiException: Error number 8001 in 8: LDAP
> authentication failed: could not validate the password: wrong password
> for uid=gravier.christophe,ou=xxx,o=yyyy,c=fr
>
> The configuration is nevertheless good in overall, because I can log
> in if I store my password as plain text binary in my LDAP server (but
> I don't want it to be plain text in the LDAP server of course...).
>
> I have been searching the documentation, FAQ and user/dev mailing
> lists, and I only found encryption related to cookie storage, or SHA
> encryption for xwiki-webdav module
> (http://xwiki.markmail.org/message/k2r2qqu2twjputml?q=ldap+SHA
> ) developpers' thoughts.
>
> Does someone have any clue on how to configure xwiki for encrypted
> userPassword stored in OpenLDAP please ?

I guess sent password encrypted to LDAP server would be the best for
security but anyway it's generally LDAP server work to encrypt
received password, not client. I have password in my LDAP server
(ApacheDS) stored encrypted and it works perfectly (it's even how I
always used it). I don't know OpenLDAP very well but it should have
some way to have encrypted password in the database even if the client
sent not encrypted password.

> Thank you in advance for any information in this matter !
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Ch. Gravier
>
> --
> Dr.-Ing. Christophe Gravier