Hi

I think you'll need in your User class to use
$xwiki.parseGroovyFromPage("ParentObject")

Before that you need to pass $xwiki to User class.

public class User extends ParentObject {
  private xwiki = null;

  void setUser() {
    if (session.getValue("counter") != null)
      this.counter = session.getValue("counter") + 1;
    else
      this.counter = 1;

    session.setAttribute("counter", this.counter);
  }

  String showCounter() {
    return this.counter;
  }