Hello Manfred,

 From what I understand you are trying to do something not very orthodox
: installing XWiki Workspaces on top of an existing XWiki Enterprise.
This is doable, but not documented. If you check
http://workspaces.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/#HInstallingandrunningtheWARdistribution

you will see that XWS comes with its own WAR file (since it needs some
extra templates/plugins/config to work correctly).

Note that XWS does embed XWiki Enterprise, so if you install the XWS
war, you have a working XE too, and all the work is done for you. The
only thing that affects XWiki Enterprise when installing XWS are a
couple of velocity templates that XWS overrides (but you need them to
have XWS work properly)

If you really want to do it the other way around (i.e. install XE first,
then XWS on top), please let me know, and I'll give you some guidelines.
Note that there is no released versions that has been tested with XE
1.8, so there is no guarantee it will even work without having to change
code.

Hope this helps,
Jerome.