That seems to have done the job - when I register as a new user I receive an
email.

The email template has this:

This email address was used to register a new account on ${wikiname}. If you
did not make the request, please ignore this message.

In order to activate your account, please follow this link:
$xwiki.getDocument("XWiki.AccountValidation").getExternalURL("view",
"validkey=${validkey}&xwikiname=${xwikiname}")

So the email you recieved did not contain the url, it instead contained this
velocity code?

Where/how do I edit this template so that it presents as a URL?

The template is located under XWiki.XWikiPreferences in the Registration area.

You should have "User Email Verification" set to Yes and the "Validation e-Mail
Content" Text area should contain:
----
#set($wikiurl = $xwiki.getDocument("Main.WebHome").getExternalURL())
#set($wikiname = $wikiurl.substring($wikiurl.indexOf("//")))
#set($wikiname = $wikiname.substring(2, $wikiname.indexOf("/", 3)))
Subject: Validate your account on $wikiname

Hello $xwiki.getUserName("XWiki.$xwikiname", false),

This email address was used to register a new account on ${wikiname}. If you
did not make the request, please ignore this message.

In order to activate your account, please follow this link:
$xwiki.getDocument("XWiki.AccountValidation").getExternalURL("view",
"validkey=${validkey}&xwikiname=${xwikiname}")
----

when sent, the urls and wiki names should show up. After checking this, do you
still have the problem?