Hi Dean,

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Dean G Weber <dean.g.we...@raytheon.com>wrote:

> [...]
> >> problem is even related to programming rights. I've put a debug
> statement
> >> on the NoAccess.WebHome page to print whether the user visiting the
> page
> >> has programming rights. In all cases it display that they do. Yet, only
> >> admins can add themselves to the TrainedUsersGroup. This doesn't work
> for
> >> me. I need to automatically add the visiting user to the
> TrainedUsersGroup
> >> once the training has been validated.
> >

> > Btw, I'm really sorry about you experiencing this frustrating
> experience.
> > Hope this email will help a bit.
> >
> > *-> shameless plug:* XWiki SAS (www.xwiki.com) offers development
> support
> > services to help you when faced with such hurdles. I'm aware you might
> not
> > be in a position where you can consider this offer, but you'd have the
> > guarantee of getting an appropriate answer in a short timeframe (vs
> > community support, although it's usually pretty fast on these lists)
> plus
> > it's a great way to help the development of the XWiki project if you
> like
> > the product + well, it would have saved you days and effort thus making
> save
> > money in the end ;-)
> >

> Unfortunately, I am just a developer and not able to direct the funding.
> Since this is for an internal project for a govt. contractor, the time it
> would take to resolve the paperwork to put in a request for the funding
> for external support would be longer than me to just write the entire wiki
> myself.
>

> >> What is the problem? Why won't the user go into the group? Is there a
> >> better way of doing this? Any help, code snippets or suggestions would
> be
> >> appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >> Dean Weber
> >

> > How exactly are you adding the user to that group? If you create an
> > XWikiGroups object, add it to the group document, then save it, you
> > should use saveWithProgrammingRights() instead of save().
> >
> > --
> > Sergiu Dumitriu
> > http://purl.org/net/sergiu/
> >

> THis is from the NoAccess.WebHome page.
>
> Here is the velocity code segment I am using to try and add a user to the
> TrainedUsersGroup group.
>
> 01 #if($completed_training == "true" or $xwiki.hasAdminRights())
> 02   ##
> 03   ## Add the current user to the TrainedUsersGroup group
> 04   ##
> 05   #set($MyGroupDoc = $xwiki.getDocument("XWiki.TrainedUsersGroup"))
> 06   #if(!$MyGroupDoc.getObject("XWiki.XWikiGroups", "member", $fullName))
>
> 07     #set($GroupObj = $MyGroupDoc.newObject("XWiki.XWikiGroups"))
> 08     #set($AddingUser = 1)
> 09     $GroupObj.set("member", $fullName)

I tried a slight modification of your code on a local wiki

##if($completed_training == "true" or $xwiki.hasAdminRights())
##
## Add the current user to the TrainedUsersGroup group
##
#set($MyGroupDoc = $xwiki.getDocument("XWiki.TrainedUsersGroup"))
#if(!$MyGroupDoc.getObject("XWiki.XWikiGroups", "member", $context.user))

#set($GroupObj = $MyGroupDoc.newObject("XWiki.XWikiGroups"))
##set($AddingUser = 1)
$GroupObj.set("member", $context.user)
$MyGroupDoc.save()
#end
##end

It works fine with an admin.

However, I get an

"org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of
method 'save' in class com.xpn.xwiki.api.Document threw exception
com.xpn.xwiki.XWikiException: Error number 9001 in 9: Access denied in edit
mode on document XWiki.TrainedUsersGroup at Main.TestGroup"

error when trying to view the page with a "normal" user. Did you make sure
that XWiki.TrainedUsersGroup could be edited by all users?

To do so, you can go to
.../xwiki/bin/edit/XWiki/TrainedUsersGroup?editor=rights and make sure that
the "Edit" checkbox is ticked in the XWikiAllGroup line. This allows all
users to modify that page, thus making them able to add themselves to the
group.

Once I had made the modification, my "normal" user was able to add himself
to the TrainedUsersGroup simply by going to the page.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume

> I have tested the Groovy code that is responsible for setting the
> $completed_training variable depending on the user's status. That portion
> is correct. The Groovy code did its part and is not the problem. All lines
> execute correctly except for lines # 09 and 10. In the case where the
> current user is not an admin, those lines display on the page instead of
> being executed. In the case where the user is an admin, No code is
> display. It is executed. The admin is added to the TrainedUsersGroup
> without a problem. I've even changed line #10 to use
> saveWithProgrammingRights but it behaves the same and just displays on the
> screen in the case of a regular user.
>
> Why can't the user execute the code that adds himself to a group when the
> page was written and saved by the admin?
>
> There must be some way for me to automatically place users into a group
> based upon their training status.
>

> Thanks
> Dean Weber
> Sr Software Engineer II