On Nov 10, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi Mary Ellen,
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:22 PM, MaryEllen Coleman <m...@us.ibm.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Is there a limit to the number of files that can be attached to an
>> XWiki
>> page?  If a page has 199 attachments, would it cause any problems or
>> issues?
>>

> More than the total number of attached files, it's the size of those
> files
> that might be an issue. Each time a new document is added a new
> version of
> the page is stored on the database, that has a copy of all the other
> documents currently attached to itself. Meaning that if each of your
> attached files is 1MB, your total page size is 200MB and each time
> you add
> an attached file it becomes a bit heavier. Once it becomes really big
> operations on that page start taking a lot of time and consume a lot
> of
> memory resources.

I'm not sure this is right.

Attachments are not loaded when the doc is loaded (only the list of
attachment is loaded which is a single query to the DB to get the
names) so you can have as many as you want I believe. It's only when
an attachment is manipulated and thus loaded in memory that it takes
up memory space.

Now I haven't tested it for real so I don't really know.

Can someone with more experience qualify this answer?

> To make it short: it will work if you've got a big computer on the
> backend
> but it's not recommended.
>
> A better solution would be to create a new page for each file and
> list all
> the pages you've created (since XE 1.8 you can use a space homepage
> for
> this).

This is pretty cumbersome and I wouldn't recommend it.