On 11/25/2009 09:54 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Asiri Rathnayake wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've had some difficulties coping with the new menu structure, here
>> are my
>> observations:
>>
>> 1. Edit / Export / More Actions menus are cool :)
>>
>> 2. I really miss the sliding menu bar. Now I have to scroll to the
>> top of
>> the page whenever I want to do something. May be it's just my
>> resistance to
>> change, but I felt uncomfortable.
>
> One thing to note: the scrolling menu was raising problems on unix
> platforms AFAIR.

This was fixed in 2.0 thanks to Caleb, so it wasn't an issue anymore.

> Now the new page action menu would be awkward to scroll since it's
> only taking a portion of the horizontal space and it's not at the top.
>
> Note that one important issue that was raised to us was that the
> action menu wasn't enough visible at the top. We've addressed it with
> the new page level action menu.
>
> Maybe you could suggest what you'd like to have instead? (although
> it's a bit late to radically change everything, small adjustments
> could still be made).

I liked having a vertical icon menu floating next to the page content,
on the left.

>> 3. I'm unable to understand the basis for grouping create space /
>> watch /
>> admin actions under xwiki menu. Made me a little confused when I was
>> looking
>> for administration link. I like the old administration menu.
>
> The top menu is about actions not related to the current page. This is
> the big change that we've brought: separation of page actions from non
> page actions.
> The top menu allows to perform actions on the wiki as a whole or
> actions on the current space.
> Administration is either a wiki action or a space action depending if
> you want to administer the wiki or the space.
>
> I also have pb with the change of location of the Administration link
> but I'm pretty sure it's because of the habit I have to break of
> looking for it at the top right, and that very soon I'll automatically
> look for it in the new place.

A possible problem would be that for a newcommer, on a fresh
installation, the Administer entry is even harder to find. Lots of users
didn't see it when it was in the top menu directly, why would they
search for it in the XWIKI menu?

On the other hand, the top menu is a bit more visible now, and because
the default wiki is called XWIKI, it's pretty normal to try to
Administer <- XWIKI.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/