On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 18:43, Joe Shuster <joseph.shus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response, Guillaume.
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <guilla...@xwiki.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Joe Shuster <joseph.shus...@gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > I have created a class that will be used to display SOPs (standard
>> > operating
>> > procedures).  I have assigned the class its required properties (mostly
>> of
>> > data types String and TextArea) and generated the class sheet and class
>> > template.  When I create new documents/instances of the SOPClass, the
>> > documents look like the SOPTemplate.
>> >
>> > I've tried populating the constant properties in the SOPTemplate and
>> > creating a new document. The new document looks like the SOPTemplate in
>> > structure but does not have any values associated with its properties.
>>

>> Do you mean you edited the SOPTemplate page with the object editor and
>> added
>> your constant properties in the relevant object fields?
>>
>> If you did so, when creating a new SOP those values should be copied from
>> the template.
>>
>> Yes, this is what I did.  The values don't seem to be copied when I create
> a new SOP based on the template.  I'm going to try to recreate my class and
> see if it helps.
>

>> > Is
>> > there a way that the SOPTemplate can propagate it's property values to
>> new
>> > instances of the SOPClass?  That is, I want some (but not all) of the
>> > properties of SOPClass to be the same for every new
>> document/instantiation
>> > of the SOPClass.  Is this possible?  Similarly, if these constant
>> > properties
>> > are modified in the future, I'd like the changes to be distributed across
>> > all instances of SOPClass.
>> >

>> Is this value supposed to be user-editable? If it is, it's gonna be hard to
>> propagate if it gets changed. On the other hand if it's not user-editable,
>> there's not much of a point in using an object to store it.
>>
>> Please forgive my naivety but how would I store "static" text (ie, text
> that is not user editable) within a class/template.

Sorry there is nothing like static values associated to the xClass yet.

The workaround depends on how you want to use theses static values.

What you could do is writing some custom UI to edit/view theses objects and:
- take care of propagating the value change to all objects of the same class
- display and edit the value from the template instance

> Thanks again,
> Joe
>
> Guillaume
>>

>> > Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
>> > Joe
>> >

>> --
>> Guillaume Lerouge
>> Product Manager - XWiki SAS