Google CDN server hosts also different versions of each javascript
framework.
http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/documentation/#prototype

By using google.load() function and google.setOnLoadCallback(function(){ })
we have the advantage of executing the custom code after all javascript
libraries are loaded, instead of using that framework onload function.
http://webmuch.com/how-why-you-should-use-google-cdn/

I think even if the option of using the google CDN servers to load the
javascript frameworks the should always be an fallback option. Here is an
nice article on how google load works. We could hack something to make sure
if google servers are down, it loads the libraries from XWiki servers.
http://onwebdevelopment.blogspot.com/2008/07/hacking-google-loader-and-ajax.html

On caching issues i found this article. I think it needs testing.
http://soupgiant.com/blog/browsers/caching-on-the-google-ajax-libraries-api/

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <ser...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> On 12/01/2009 06:10 AM, Asiri Rathnayake wrote:
> > Link: http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/
> >
> > Article about how it can make websites fast:
> > http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/11/steve-souders-making-web-sites.html
> >
> > XWiki web gurus, can XWiki benefit from this? Is it worth considering?
> >

> Maybe. Its main advantages are that:
> - it increases the chance of having the prototype and scriptaculous
> scripts in the cache.
> - it downloads them from Google's fast CDN, reducing the load on our
> servers
>
> I don't know how does it work with the rest of our scripts, which assume
> that Prototype is already loaded. It probably doesn't which means that
> we'll need lots of changes in all our js code to integrate it.
> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Cu stima,