Hello Paolo,
I know that virtual wikis can be run on postgres because I have done it.
I changed the howto to reflect that it could be done (Devs should I make it
clear that this feature is unsupported?)

I have repeated your problem and it happens when I have only
XWiki.XWikiServerSub1
and not
XWiki.XWikiServerXWiki

XWiki.XWikiServerXWiki should have the following attributes:
server: xwiki
owner: XWiki.Admin

I think this will fix it for you, If it works the sub1 section should have no
information in it (like when you first installed.)

Let me know how this goes, If this was the problem I will modify the page to
list
it as a common "got-ya".

Caleb James DeLisle