Our team has been using xwiki for several months, love it.  I am still new
to xwiki, first post.  Upgraded our 2.1 today on Windows 2008 r2 64bit.
Some errors have been seen in the past with registrations.  I don't think
velocity is working correctly.  When I configure the wiki for a new user -
without email registration, the new user is created correctly.  If I turn
on email confirmation, it fails with this error in red letters;

  Passwords are different or password is empty.  - Yes, phat fingers have
been double checked, several times ;)  If I try again, it says in red that;
User already exists.

It does create the new userid, inactive.  When I check the users rights,
HOWEVER they have edit green checkmark in the Groups XWikiAdminGroup !
This does not happen without the java error below, for a new user without
the email confirmation.

2010-02-11 14:43:32,491 [http://wiki/xwiki/bin/register/XWiki/Register]
ERROR api.XWiki                       - Failed to create user
com.xpn.xwiki.XWikiException: Error number 11004 in 11: Exception while
creating user
Wrapped Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
      at com.xpn.xwiki.XWiki.createUser(XWiki.java:3495)
      at com.xpn.xwiki.api.XWiki.createUser(XWiki.java:1183)
      at com.xpn.xwiki.api.XWiki.createUser(XWiki.java:1156)
      at
org.apache.velocity.util.introspection.UberspectImpl$VelMethodImpl.doInvoke(UberspectImpl.java:389)
Wrapped Exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
      at java.util.Hashtable.put(Unknown Source)
      at
com.xpn.xwiki.plugin.mailsender.MailSenderPluginApi.sendMail(MailSenderPluginApi.java:166)
      at
com.xpn.xwiki.plugin.mailsender.MailSenderPluginApi.sendRawMessage(MailSenderPluginApi.java:124)

I have java in the path;
Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\PROGRA~1\java\jre6\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\java\jre6\lib;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\PROGRA~2\java\jre6\bin;C:\Program
 Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Java\jre6\lib;C:\webroot\MySQLServer5.1\bin;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Java\jre6\bin\client;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;

Server Information Tomcat Version JVM Version JVM Vendor OS Name OS Version
OS Architecture
Apache Tomcat/6.0.20 1.6.0_17-b04 Sun Microsystems Inc. Windows Server 2008
R2 6.1 x86
Processors:      2
Processor speed: 2.3 GHz
Processor type:  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  E5530
Physical memory: 2000 MB
Video driver:    Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Video Device
Kernel version:  Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, Multiprocessor Free
Product type:    Advanced Server
Product version: 6.1
Service pack:    0
Kernel build number:7600

I will be glad to find any error, or try any suggestions.  I have logging
on, and I did try debugging once also.  What other information would be
helpful?

John Carter