Giuseppe Vallarelli wrote:
> Hi Sadid
>
> 2010/4/30 sadid sahami <sadidsah...@gmail.com>
>
>> Hello!
>> while I've been frustrated form installing mediawiki... I found
>> XWIKI....The
>> installation was easy and straight-forward then I encountered with an
>> excellent tool for my job:
>> I am not a administrating and I don't want Online wiki so much (at least
>> for
>> 1-2 year)... currently I just need a wiki for my personal use:
>> 1) is XWIKI a good choice for someone like me?
>>

> Yep XWiki is a very good wiki but also a platform to develop on new
> applications (applications here
> http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Applications/) using scripting
> languages (groovy, velocity) more info
> here<http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SecondGenerationWiki>
> ,
> of course the raison d'etre of XWiki or wikis in general is collaborative
> editing/working

If you need speed, security and simplicity for a large production system then
I think Mediawiki is your best bet (although there are some large systems
running
XWiki). If you need flexibility, features and ease of use/installation, then
you've
come to the right place. Keep in mind Wikipedia's functionality largely comes
from
some 700 bots which maintain the site. In XWiki this could all be done in
script on
the server.

See: http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Macros/FormulaMacro

>> 3) I'm a newbie ( I just know a little HTML...) is XWIKI a good alternative
>> for my personal DMS?
>>

> I think YES :)

This and corporate/educational intranets is where we excel.

>> 4) I've installed my XWIKI on Fedora 11 in /home/user/.XWiki folder is it
>> possible to reinstall it?
>>

> I don't know it yet.
>

>> 5) I can't access my xwiki via menu's shortcut I've to cd .XWiki and "sh
>> start....sh" It works but I want a total solution
>>

> You can create a new menu item right-clicking on menu (Applications) -> Edit
> menus -> New Item ->
> now you should give a name, indicate the script you should exec, optionally
> adding a comment if you like.
> Here there's a screenshot (Italian) ->
> http://www.imagebanana.com/img/kdgkogxl/Schermata3.png

Or add a line to ~/.bashrc This will run whenever you log in.

>> 6) where do my pages store?
>>

> I don't know it yet.

There is a database which uses HSQLDB by default, I think the database is
stored in a file somewhere.
See: http://hsqldb.org/

>> excuxe me for this long list question
>> Thanks!
>>

> No worries, you're welcome! Feel free to ask :-)
> There's also an irc channel on freenode at #xwiki
>
> Happy XWiki
>
> Giuseppe.

Support is one of our strong points :)

Caleb