Which version of XWiki are your running on ?

I've been using this succesfully on multiple projects.

--
Can you try directly modifying pdf.css in webapps/xwiki/templates/

--

However, note that pdf.css can only be used to style using "id" and "element", but not classes.

There is a patch for this in: http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-4869