On 09/08/2010 11:40 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> Currently the image plugin [1] allows us to create image thumbnails by
> specifying the image width and/or height in the query string of the
> image attachment download URL:
>
> /xwiki/bin/download/Spage/Page/image.jpg?width=100
>
> I propose that we:
>
> (A) Use the image width and/or height (when they are specified in the
> image syntax using pixel unit) to resize the image on the server side.
> For instance:
>
> [[image:logo.jpg||width="100px"]]
>
> will be linked to
>
> /xwiki/bin/download/Spage/Page/logo.jpg?width=100

If I remember correctly this would mean that we give special meaning to
some parameters (right now they are automatically copied to HTML
attributes of the element). I don't remember exactly why, but I think
this was an issue (Thomas? Vincent?)

otherwise I would be +1 for this, image will be resized anyway, and
let's hope the image plugin can do it as well as the browser would (in
terms of quality of the result).

> and
>
> [[image:logo.jpg||style="height: 50px; width: 70px"]]
>
> will be linked to
>
> /xwiki/bin/download/Spage/Page/logo.jpg?width=70&height=50
>
> The image plugin also accepts a quality parameter that controls the
> compression quality when encoding jpeg images. The default value of this
> parameter (i.e. when not specified in the URL) is configurable. I
> propose we use 0.3 by default, 1 representing the best quality.
>
> (B) Add the ability to limit the image dimensions (preserving aspect
> ratio) when the image width and/or height are not specified in the image
> syntax (or when they are not using pixel unit). The width and height
> limit will be configurable and -1 by default (i.e. no limitation). For
> instance:
>
> image:logo.jpg
>
> will be linked to
>
> /xwiki/bin/download/Spage/Page/logo.jpg?width=1024
>
> when width limit is 1024, and to
>
> /xwiki/bin/download/Spage/Page/logo.jpg?width=1024&height=768&keepAspectRatio=true
>
> when width limit is 1024 and height limit is 768. Note that in this case
> the image aspect ratio is preserved. The image is resized to best fit
> the limits. If the user want to bypass the limit he has to specify the
> image width/height in the image syntax.

I would say we would need a way to bypass and say "original size", be it
a special value of the width (negative) or another method.

+0 for B