Hi,

2010/9/10 [Ricardo Rodriguez] eBioTIC. <ricardo.rodrig...@ebiotic.net>

> Hi Maxime,
>

> First of all, allow me what could be a silly question: *virtual wiki*
> and *subwiki* are used as synonyms? Local and main wiki are also used
> indistinctly? I think Local is used as "relative" concept both in the
> main and virtual wikis to express that an user or a group is defined in
> its database. Thus, I think it will be better to use *main wiki* for the
> "master", even though I prefer the the old wary: the controller, and
> *virtual wikis* for any other wiki in the farm. In fact sub wiki could
> be not appropriate for a number or reasons. For instance, here we have
> some virtual wikis that are far from being considered as a sub-group of
> the controller.
>
> In brief: I would like to propose to use *controller* and *virtual
> wikis* as the advised way of calling both type of wikis. WDYT? Thanks!

In my humble opinion, a "virtual wiki" is a xwiki installation that enables
to manage a farm of wikis.

See http://manager.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation
*Set your wiki as "virtual" to allow multiple wikis*

A farm is composed of a "main wiki" (the controller) and a lot of "wikis".
Theses terms seem to constitute the "official" vocabulary of the xwiki
product.

In my words, a sub-wiki is just a simple wiki of the farm.

The words "Local" and "Global" apply to users and groups. Global means :
"present in the main wiki", Local means : "present in a wiki (not the main
one)"

> > But in fact, an admin can create a local user (not connected to the LDAP)
> in
> > a subwiki. It is what I have done only to test the Meta-G feature.
> > If you know how to prevent local user creation, I'm interested.
> >

> No idea, sorry. I've not faced this kind of challenges yet. What I
> understand here is that you want to have virtual wikis administrators
> that won't be able to create local users, am I right? This will be
> welcome also here.

Yes exactly.

> > More about my configuration :
> > Users don't have the right to read the main wiki (except their profil
> page,
> > of course).
> > Only users are imported from the LDAP, the groups are xwiki groups.
>
> Here groups in the directory service are used for many other different
> things. So, for us, groups in the farm and in the directory service must
> be synchronized. In fact, this is a feature we are planning to develop.
> Well, patronize its development! I am far from being able to develop
> such a thing! Now, users and groups can be synchronized with directory
> service contains, but that is not true the other way round. For
> instance: if an user changes its telephone number in the his/her wiki
> profile, the change won't propagate to the directory.
>
> Please, why do you use XWiki groups?
>
> > The
> > principle to manage the rights of a subwiki is that the subwiki
> > administrator creates local group and inserts global users in it.
> >

> I get your point, but as stated before, groups for us have a lot of
> different uses in the directory service. I've not tried yet how LDAP
> properties set at virtual wiki level behave. I will keep this thread, or
> created new ones if required, updated about this issue.
>
> BTW, does global user selector work for you when editing local groups in
> virtual wikis? It doesn't show any result for me.
>
> It doesn't show any result for me too, this is why I created the issue
XAADMINISTRATION-167.

Regards,
Maxime