Hi Marius, thanks for the reply.

That way doesn't really work for my situation, I probably should have
mentioned that the macro needed to be used in a filterable table (my script
is based off the
http://www.theserverside.com/news/1363830/XWiki-A-Platform-for-Collaborative-Apps
TODO tutorial , I think the variable/object is somehow breaking the html
tags of my table and therefore breaking the page. I decided to just change
the field of the object to wysiwyg so that the users can just use the macro
directly (that won't happen too often anyway) so its not a big issue.

On a slightly related note: I don't suppose anyone could point me in the
direction of a script that automatically lists paths to all files in a
folder to display in a table on a page? So far my searches have come up a
blank so I'm assuming there isn't anything.

Cheers,
Lockie