On 11/04/2010 07:59 PM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] eBioTIC. wrote:
> Hi, Wouter,
>
> Wouter Boasson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a simple question: can I safely upgrade XWiki from a 2.2.x version to a
>> 2.5.x (or newer) release, without upgrading step by step (e.g. go to 2.3.x
>> ... , then 2.4.x ... 2.5)?
>>

> Following this document...
>
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation#HUpgradinganXWikiInstallation
>
> It must be safe to do what you are planning to do provided you review
> those additional operations and are particularly "observant" with the
> WARNINGS on that file. As you can read...
>
> "Note that the database schema is automatically upgraded when needed.
> All you need to do is to ensure your xwiki.cfg file is correctly
> configured to perform the migration."
>
> And, of course, backup your database and /xwiki application folder
> before proceeding!

What's important is to read the release notes for all the intermediate
releases, and take care of the backwards compatibility issues. For
example, 2.3 lists that you should also import some documents which
won't work in the newer version, 2.4 says that scripts are defered by
default, so you should check your custom JSX, if any, and 2.5 says that
there are some changes in web.xml.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/