Piotr Dziubecki wrote:
> W dniu 10-11-04 21:28, [Ricardo Rodriguez] eBioTIC. wrote:
>
>> Piotr Dziubecki wrote:

>>> To be sure, I did some tests here:
>>>
>>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Sandbox
>>>
>>> no warnings, you can even edit the same section but then you'll need to get
>>> through the merge phase. In that
>>> case you see such a message:
>>>
>>> Someone else has changed this page since you started editing it. The upper
>>> text area contains the page text
>>> as it currently exists. Your changes are shown in the lower text area. You
>>> will have to merge your changes
>>> into the existing text.
>>>

>> Well, I don't see this blocking behaviour working with MediaWiki
>> sandbox... I don't know why! In any case, MediaWiki is not the case here!
>>
>> Just summing up:
>>

> Thanks for that summary, let me comment on your thoughts:
>

>> 1. Simultaneous edition is possible, but not advisable with the current
>> XWiki release.
>>

> Yes, especially that there is no merge phase after concurrent editing ( or
> maybe there is a 'merge plugin' -
> I'd be grateful for any info on that ). In that case you end up with the
> article content overridden by
> someone else and your only hope is to dig in the document's history and try
> to fix edits manually.
>

>> 2. Locking is done at document level.
>>

> Is that going to change in the future ? In my opinion that basically blocks
> user groups/communities from
> working on the documents in a collaborative way. Is it much work to make that
> lock 'section sensitive',
> architecture-wise ?  If someone could describe what should be done / changed
> in order to achieve that, maybe
> we could figure out a solution for that issue.
>

>> 3. A true real-time edition editor for XWiki is on its way and will
>> solve all these issues!
>>

> Well, it could be, but it's based on the js/ajax - it could be tricky to
> achieve a good level of
> compatibility between browsers ( of course it could be done, Google docs is a
> good example here ). Of course
> I'd take that right away in the stable form. But I think merging/lock on the
> section level could be more
> than enough for the ordinary wiki users ( Wikipedia is basing on that model
> on a huge scale and it's doing
> fine ;) )
>

>> It will be great if some developer or more skilled user could review
>> this statements to confirm/deny/complete them! Thanks!
>>

> I concur. Currently I'm struggling to figure out how to get over that
> problem. I can tell my users just to
> ignore the lock message, but that is not super safe and could cause a content
> loss/corruption.
>
> Looking forward to your feedback guys !

I do agree with you, Piotr. In fact, when I present XWiki to a new group
of users, this is the question I would like to avoid: how XWiki manage
concurrent edition?

I talk about locking behaviour and a future real-time editor, but this
is not a good answer at all. To use instant messaging to agree on a
timetable to edit a document is what we currently do here. But it is a
solution out of XWiki (even though it is not costly at all as we use
instant messaging extensively in our research groups) and I don't like
to propose this kind of workarounds as I'm trying to show how to use
XWiki to collaborative writing among other uses.

I'm a bit surprised of being discussing this issue here as we are
already in a 2.7.z release of XWiki. Perhaps I'm missing something, but
I am not able to find an answer either.

Thanks for your thoughts!

> Regards,
> Piotr

Ricardo Rodríguez
CTO
eBioTIC.
Life Sciences, Data Modeling and Information Management Systems