Hi!

Eric Tse wrote:
> Hey guys, just subscribed to this list.
>
> I'm currently stuck between two softwares: XWiki and Foswiki.
>
> What I'm looking for is:
> Speed/Performance
> Access control (Guests can only read and not modify, certain users can
> modify)
> Good theming/Easy theming.
> An overall good wiki with user-friendly UI.
>
> Foswiki is flatfile and xwiki is SQL based. I hear that SQL is generally
> better, is that the case? Foswiki seems to be pretty fast even if it is
> flatfile.
>
> Thanks :)

XWiki is not only a wiki: it is a complete and powerful Java based
development framework. I arrived here from MediaWiki looking for access
management and I found much, much more than this. I think it is worth
you give it a try! Even more: if after playing for a while in the
sandbox (http://xoffice.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Sandbox/), or asking
and using your own wiki in MyWiki community farm or Netcipia, or
installing your own standalone installation, you know how to set up an
application server and a supported RDBMS, install and give a try to the
last snapshot to feel the newest improvements! Don't forget to use the
Create 200 Dummy Users snippet available at...

http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Snippets/Create200DummyUsersSnippet

... and play for a while with Users and Groups administration. Out of
the box, XWiki features an amazingly powerful rights management system.
Of course control who can read or edit a given document of a part of it
is not a big issue for XWiki administrators.

As for theming. Even though I think teaming is better than theming
working with XWiki :-) as many other development areas, it has also
evolved greatly in the last months. Some new concepts has been recently
introduced, for instance check the Skin Extensions Plugin
(http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Plugins/SkinExtensionsPlugin).
Right now is really easy to customized colours and logos, and modify any
UI characteristic by using Firefox Firebug to track the relevant CSS
XWiki code. Perhaps if you only look for a "classical" wiki, theming is
not the most friendly XWiki feature for you. But don't forget this: it
is completely scalable, so you should want to forget a bit about theming
for a while being sure that what you see in our UI is or will be easily
customizable in a near future.

XWiki is what it reads in its portal's homepage: "The XWiki project
offers both a generic platform for developing collaborative applications
using the wiki paradigm and products developed on top of it." XWiki
Enterprise should be the product you are looking for, but this is only
the top of the iceberg.

I'm not able to compare the use of flat-files vs RDBMS (SQL is just the
standard language that allows you to query such databases). BUT, once
again, don't forget that XWiki is more than a wiki. It uses a RDBMS to
hold a complex object-oriented structure. You can also use its SQL
plugin to query local or remote RDBMS tables, but also can its API
methods to design complex queries using HQL (Hibernate Query Language)
or XWQL (XWiki Query Language)

More: each XWiki document could be considered a database on its own! It
could be composed of an unlimited number of objects + plain or more or
less structured text.

Sticks with XWiki and won't only create a classical, fast and full
featured wiki but discover a full and funny universe of great
possibilities. And, most important of all: you will meet a great
community and development team!

Just my two cents!

Ricardo

> - Eric

Ricardo Rodríguez
CTO
eBioTIC.
Life Sciences, Data Modeling and Information Management Systems