Hi Paul,

The second part is a velocity snippet. It has been written at a time there
was only one syntax in XWiki (what we call now syntax xwiki/1.0). In the new
syntaxes (xwiki/2.0 or xwiki/2.1), you need to surround velocity code blocks
by the {{velocity}} macro to get it executed. See
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax for more on this.
If you get the snippet working, it would be great you update it to add the
information you've missed in the first place.

Bye!
Jerome