Hi everybody,
if I can give my suggestions, working in Windows environment, VM are often
related to VMWare products, which indeed are market leaders. VMWare provides
also a free VMplayer which can be used in business environment, at least for
testing purpouse.
This was the way I approched Xwiki, looking for a Virtual Appliance, as
VMWare call it,  ready to go, without loosing too much time in configuring
and installing. By the way if you go to www.vmware.com/appliances/ and
search 'xwiki' you do find it: Ubuntu 8.10 with MySQL Server, Tomcat 6,
OpenJDK 6, and XWiki Enterprise 1.7.1.  and indeed it does not look too much
up-to-date.
So, in my opinion,  a new user, or someone who want to look inside and
compare, would be pleased to find a downloadable Virtual Appliance with a
quite recent release of XWiki ready-to-go to play with, in these days let's
say version 2.7 or 2.6, not necessarly always the latest release or patch,
since once started the VM and xwiki can be upgraded.
Xwiki.org could have a Virtual Appliance download section (provided someone
creates the VMs!) and/or could promote itself at VMWare site.
Since I am not involved in any business with VMWare I have to say there are
other solutions like VirtualBox, Xen, ... and an opensource format for VMs
that can be converted in the preferred one by the user.
At the end the suggestion is to have a section dedicated to VMs of any kind
downloadable from xwiki.org site.
Angelo Ghisoni