Yep,

When I connect with:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9001/xwiki

I just get a 404. Changing it back to the domain name, I get the same
500 error.

Connecting to my IP:9001 brings up my Tomcat administration page just
fine - so I can verify that the servlet is running on that port at
that IP.

I have the following file in my xwiki/WEB-INF/lib directory:
mysql-connector-java-5.1.17-bin.jar

Very confusing...

aaron