Dimitry,

wouldn't honouring the Range http-header be sufficient and a lot more
widespread?
I think I know it would honour wget --continue for example.

BitTorrent transmission, although clearly more efficient, is not too well
tolerated in many network environments as it is commonly used for the
transmission of things that are somewhat suspicious.

paul